Sunday, August 24, 2008

Velma's Journal--April 14, 1932

Was called back to Jacob Vandewater who once again received me curtly at his door. Looking quite disheveled again, he handed me the exact same manuscript in the exact same shirt box which was now crumpled and in a sad state.


"Don't return that to Dr. Loockersmans. The note is intended for Mr. Rapalje." His wire-rim glasses were still crooked on his face. I wondered if he had changed at all since my first delivery. "Do you understand?"


"Yes sir, completely."


"And don't hand it to that driver of his either. Directly to Mr. Rapalje himself. I fear that man to be meddlesome."


"I understand, sir," I said almost chuckling. Rudy, to me, seems to be the nicest man I've met in my travels.


Vandewater looked both ways down the street and ducked inside the door. "Be careful, Ms. Graydon, I fear you're being followed. Do not go directly to Mr. Rapalje just yet." With that he slammed the door.


I turned slowly and started walking down the street. In the corner of my eye I did notice what seemed to be a tall man in a hat following me. I couldn't make out his face but as soon as I reached the corner he began to move in my direction. I quickly found my way into a taxi cab and as far as I can tell, was free of him.


The intrigue doesn't seem to end. And now, part of me, is starting to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment