Thursday, January 3, 2008

Velma's Journal--October 27, 1931

After class I went to Loockersmans's office for my first assignment. When I arrived, Loockersmans was no where to be found. Harold said that he was unexpectedly called away and he had left a package for me to deliver. He took a large yellow envelope out of the giant desk drawer and handed it to me. Upon my initial examination I found no addressee.


"Where does it go?" I asked Harold.


He looked at me blankly for a moment and then it occurred to him. "Oh right, I'm supposed to give this to you as well. Follow me."


We walked to Harold's desk outside of Loockersmans's office and there was a white envelope with my name across it. "He told me to give this to you." He handed it to me sheepishly. "I still don't know why I can't do this for him. I AM his assistant."


I looked at him a bit taken back by the jealous tone of his voice. "I'm not quite sure either. Perhaps he doesn't want to bog you down with useless tasks."


"No, you're special. He says it. Only you can do this for him."


Of course, I was very uncomfortable by this. Amidst my confusion as to what it is I am actually doing, I still was not sure why the professor found me so promising.


"I'm sure its nothing like any of that," I said to him. "Thanks for your help, Harold."


"Good luck," he said to me. I thanked him again and left.


Once I returned to my room I opened the white envelope.


It said simply:


Velma,
Deliver this package to a Mrs. Caroline Vanderford at 519 Park Avenue. It is between 59th and 60th Streets. She is expecting you tomorrow morning by 9 AM.
--GL



And so it begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment